|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
|Passive Time||10 minutes|
- 1 cup carrots peeled and shredded
- 2 cups broccoli florets and stem pieces fresh works best rinsed and florets cut off and stem pieces diced
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup red onion minced (optional)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk or almond milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 Mariposa Farms Fresh Bay leaf
- 4 medium to large Mariposa Farms FreshBasil leaves rinsed, stacked, rolled and chopped
- 3-4 sprigs Mariposa Farms Fresh Thyme leaves rinsed
- 3-4 leaves Mariposa Farms Fresh Sage leaves rinsed and chopped
- 1/4-1/2 tsp cayenne powder adjust according to taste preference or use Kashmiri red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- salt to taste
- 2 1/2 cup cheddar cheese grated
- 8 sprigs Mariposa Farms Fresh Mint rinse and cut to use for garnish
- Using a small pan, saute the minced onions in 1 tbsp of melted butter over low heat. Saute until soft, approximately 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Crush the garlic and add to the pan with the onions, stir and saute for 1 minute. Remove from heat.
- While the onions as being sauteed, cut up the broccoli into small chunks and florets. Peel the carrots and shred them or dice into really small pieces. Mince the mint leaves for garnish. Grate the cheese.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Heat a heavy bottomed soup pan and melt 4 tbsp of butter. Add the flour and whisk continuously for 4-5 minutes, or until you have a thick, pale brownish roux. Whisk to avoid the flour sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
- Add the milk, half and half or almond milk, whisking as you add so it blends with the roux. Add the chicken or vegetable stock, and whisk again. Keep on low heat and simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid thickens. Whisk occasionally to prevent it from sticking to the bottom of the pan. This will reduce as it simmers.
- Add the broccoli and carrots. Add the nutmeg, paprika, bay leaf, cayenne pepper or Kashmiri red chili powder, black pepper, and salt. Bring soup to a boil and let it simmer over low heat for another 15 minutes, checking that the carrots and broccoli are both tender.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow the soup to cool. When cool enough to handle, remove the bay leaf and blend or puree about half of the soup. Its not necessary to blend or puree the carrots or broccoli.
- Pour the soup back into the soup pan to warm it back up, add the sauteed onions and garlic, chopped thyme leaves, sage and basil. Add the cheese, reserving 2-3 tbsp for garnish. Whisk the cheese till it blends into the soup. Once the cheese is completely melted, usually 1-2 minutes, turn off the stove. Garnish with mint leaves and a sprinkle of cheese. Serve with warm french bread.
Share this Recipe