|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||2 3/4 hours|
|Passive Time||20 minutes|
- 8 Whole Beef Short Ribs
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 pieces pancetta diced (can use bacon also)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole medium onion diced
- 3 whole carrots diced
- 2 whole shallots peeled and finely minced
- 2 cups Red or White wine
- 2 cups Beef or Chicken broth enough to almost cover ribs
- 2 sprigs Fresh Mariposa Farms Thyme
- 2 sprigs fresh Mariposa Farms Rosemary
- Salt and pepper the ribs and dust with flour. Set aside.
- In large dutch oven, cook the diced pancetta or bacon over medium heat until completely crispy and all fat is rendered. Remove pancettta or bacon from the pan and set aside.
- Add olive oil to the pan with the pancetta or bacon fat, and rise to high heat. Brown ribs on all sides, about 45 seconds per side. Remove ribs and set aside. Turn heat to medium.
- Add onions, carrots and shallots to pan and cook for 2 minutes. Pour in wine and scrape bottom of pan to release all of the flavorful bits and crumbs. Bring to boil and cook 2 minutes.
- Add broth, 1 tsp kosher salt, and plenty of freshly ground black pepper. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Add ribs to liquid; they should be almost completely submerged. Add thyme and rosemary sprigs (whole) to the liquid.
- Place the lid on the dutch oven and place in the oven. Cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours, then reduce heat to 325 degrees and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes.
- Ribs should be fork-tender and falling off the bone. Remove pan from oven and allow to sit for at least 20 minutes, lid on, before serving.
- At last minute, skim the fat off the top of the liquid. (Can also refrigerate mixture, then remove solid fat from the top.)
Share this Recipe