- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tsp instant yeast
- 1 cup low fat milk warm
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 eggs large
- 2 tsp salt
- 6 cups King Arthur unbleached bread flour
- 1-8.5 oz jar sun dried tomatoes oil packed
- 3/4 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Italian blend cheese
- 2/3 cup Mariposa Farms Fresh Basil chopped
- Combine the water, sugar, yeast, milk, olive oil, eggs, salt, and flour. Mix and knead by hand until you've made a cohesive, soft dough. Place the dough in a greased bowl, and turn to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly drain the sun-dried tomatoes. Lay them on a paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Using kitchen shears, finely chop the tomatoes.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Gently deflate the dough and divide it in half. Roll one piece into a 22" x 8 1/2" rectangle Sprinkle on half of the garlic, cheese, basil, and tomatoes.
- Starting with one edge, roll the dough into a long the long way. Pinch the edges to seal.
- Place the long seam-side down on a baking sheet. Using kitchen shears, start 1/2" from one end and cut the log lengthwise down the center about 1" deep, to within 1/2" of the other end.
- Keeping the cut side up, for an "S" shape. Tuck both ends under the center of the "S" to form a "figure 8". Pinch the ends together to seal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until double, 45-60 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough.
- While the loaves are rising, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake the first loaf for 35-40 minutes. Tent the loaf with foil after 15-20 minutes to prevent over-browning. Bake the remaining loaf.
- Remove loaves from their pans; cool on racks. Store any leftovers well-wrapped, at room temperature.
Share this Recipe